What is the role of parents in the education of kids?
To me, as a parent, my role (and that of the school) is to:
– help the child learn acceptance of who he/she really is and to get comfortable with himself/herself
– help the child be independent
– encourage the child to pursue her/his own enthusiasm without corrupting it with our prejudiced ideas
– encourage effort, not push for results. Work in itself is the reward, result is a by-product.
– help the child build a sense of inner-worthiness that is not tied to social status, job, money, rank, etc
However, all said and done, not everything is in our hands. We are merely facilitators, not enforcers. We need to learn to let go and trust the child to follow her/his own path and make her/his own life – whatever that is.