Last weekend, my colleagues and I had gone on a 2 day trip to Masinagudi and Ooty. We stayed in a place called Forest hills farms and resorts (location is good, place is kinda average). En route, we visited Gopalaswamy betta, Kalhatty falls, etc.
I had written a lengthy post.. but the browser crashed and I am now mad with myself for not having saved it. My patience to sit and write it again too has crashed :-(.
Instead of a lengthy trip report, I will leave you with a few snaps, the route to Gopalaswamy betta and Kalhatty falls and a few pointers.
Route to Kalhatty falls from Bangalore
Bangalore – Mysore – Nanjangud – Gundelpet – Bandipur – Mudumalai – Theppakad junction – ****Take left here**** (you see a small narrow steel bridge) to reach Masinagudi – Mavanahalla – Climb up the 36 hairpin bend route – Drive upto the 10th hairpin bend where you see the police checkpost – Take right there instead of going further up – Park your car – walk down the steps until you hear the water fall – walk right upto the water fall (many people fail to do that and miss the real beauty)
Things to keep in mind while visiting Kalhatty falls
- Road condition is excellent from Bangalore to Kalhatty falls, except for a stretch near Nanjangud. Previously, the 10km stretch after Gundelpet was horrible, but is now good.
- Kalhatty falls is an excellent place for birding. See my link at the bottom for birding in Nilgiris.
- Early in the morning and in the evening, the place is pretty isolated. Having someone for company will make you comfortable.
- Kalhatty falls is around 10km from Ooty
- The 36 hairpin bends are not for the newbie driver
- Keep a watch for the speeding Masinagudi jeep drivers on the very narrow roads there
The beautiful Kalhatty falls
Route to Gopalaswamy betta from Bangalore
Bangalore – Mysore – Nanjangud – Gundelpet – Hangala village – Turn right here – Drive straight till you see the forest dept check post – pay entry fee – drive up (pretty steep climb on a not so good road)
Going on a trip and looking for a DSLR or a lens? Visit www.Tapprs.com.
What to see there?
- Gopalaswamy temple
- the lush green rolling grasslands
Himavad Gopalaswamy betta
Himavad Gopalaswamy temple
Himavad Gopalaswamy betta
My other Nilgiris related posts
5 thoughts on “Gopalaswamy betta and Kalhatty falls”
Pl;s let me knw where s the kalhatty falls which u have mentioned.
Let me knw the distance to tat place from gopalaswamy betta. Shud we trek there also ?
Kavya, I guess I replied to you on the mail.
I just started reading your blog accidentally, but i am loving it. I think i will not miss it in future. Your travelogues are awesome. Keep writing
Amazing photographs of Kalhatty falls
Nice blog…kalhatty falls..How long journey from Hivad gopalswami betta?? can we cover both in obe day?? Is it inside a thick forest?? Is it safe one to go(8 girls tean)?? Please let me know…